New Dad

This started out as a Dad's perspective on my wife Katrina's pregnancy and a way to keep the family updated. Alina arrived in February 2006 and now it's more about our parenting adventures. Now we've added Evelyn in July 2008.

Friday, June 17, 2005

Telling the Parents

Every parent has a markedly different reaction to the news. We sent the picture and talked them either on the phone or via IM while they were looking at it.

Carole: (Mother-in-law, first grandchild) - Screams and cries, says "I'm gonna have a baby!"

Susan: (My mother, has a grandchild from my sister) - "F***! Wow! Oh my God! Boy, Ethan you better get a job!"

Jeff: (My stepfather) - Woo Hoo! YAY! Wooooo! (he's a woo-hoo kind of guy)

Richard: (My father, seems fixated on other things) IM transcript below.

Richard says: OK, now I know what it is. Does it indicate a positive and do I, perchance, know the testee?
Ethan says: All of the above
Richard says: Wow! When?
Ethan says: Why would I send you a picture of a dud?
Richard says: Due, I mean.
Ethan says: Well, that's unknown. This picture is about 6 hours old.
Ethan says: Assuming it's right....Feb, March
Richard says: Has she been to a doctor yet?
Ethan says: She found out 6 HOURS ago
Richard says: Cool.
Ethan says: She has an appt in two weeks
Richard says: And how do you feel about this?
Ethan says: Most doctors won't see you until 8 weeks anyway.
Ethan says: Freaked out, excited.
Richard says: Good.
Richard says: Change of subject........
Ethan says: ooooookay...
Richard says: When I went up to the dome to see what kind of wedding ceremony John and Ruth wanted (I'm doing the ceremony), I found they were both on the South Beach Diet.
Richard says: I checked it out online.
Richard says: I signed up and got the cookbook.
Richard says: You would love this.
Richard says: There's not enough hours in the day to eat all the food you're allowed to eat.
Richard says: I am in the most restrictive two weeks and last night we had salmon with creamy lemon sauce.

Yes, so they're all happy. But it's interesting to see how their minds work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home