New Dad

This started out as a Dad's perspective on my wife Katrina's pregnancy and a way to keep the family updated. Alina arrived in February 2006 and now it's more about our parenting adventures. Now we've added Evelyn in July 2008.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Up Toilet Seat Heard 'Round the World

Everyone went away for a whole week to hang out at my mother's house. Being home alone, I thought I would be going out every night, getting stupid, making plans. Turns out, I didn't miss plans or going out. I missed "nothing". Coming home, turning off my brain and doing absolutely nothing. It was pretty glorious. No one to bathe, no one to feed. Unfortunately, my brain didn't know how to process this and it rewarded me by giving me a major bout of insomnia. I probably got less sleep with everyone gone than when they're here. Luckily, I had the Presidential debate on my DVR. That's some good white noise.

When everyone's home, not only does Evie the infant sleep in our bed, but refuses to sleep unless she's on her stomach. This is bad, but would be worse if she couldn't pick her head up. The crib is literally collecting dust. So, suffice is to say I don't sleep in that bed very much and usually opt for the couch. If I'm sleeping closer than 2 feet from her, I pop awake every 30 minutes to see if she's still breathing or to make sure she's not under me. On those now rare occasions when I AM sleeping with them, I lie across the foot of the bed like some kind of animal. I've been relegated to the family pet. Our cat is like, "Dude, that's MY spot. Go back to the couch!"

2 Comments:

Blogger Botch the Crab said...

I had no idea that fatherhood could be even worse than my conception of it, but here we've lowered the bar again.

Oh, I know, I'm discounting the rewards. Yes. I know. On purpose.

4:25 PM, October 12, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know a GOOD way to fall asleep. Just walk, run and wear yourself out. Try handling a 14 year old and an 83 year old all at once. Did you know that when you flush the toilet, the garage door goes up and down. Well that's what our Granny in the downstairs thinks... She also swears that she needs to put an ink cartrige in the printer so that she can send more emails. At the DMV today, when we got her driver's license, she didn't know what the title of the car was. Yes, and they let her drive!

So handling babies sounds wonderful.

Love,
Mom/Mimi

8:14 PM, October 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home