New Dad

This started out as a Dad's perspective on my wife Katrina's pregnancy and a way to keep the family updated. Alina arrived in February 2006 and now it's more about our parenting adventures. Now we've added Evelyn in July 2008.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

This Ain't Make Not Sense

Can someone explain to me why baby pants and baby jackets have pockets? Is it just to make babies look more like little people or does one actually use them to hold objects? Sometimes the pockets are in the front, sometimes in the back, and for the life of me I can't figure out what they're for. But that isn't what scares me. You just know someone will create a purpose for them and then sell it to you for $12.99 at Babies r Us. Like a little My First Comb or My First Fake ID. "Well Officer I know it says I'm 23 inches long but that was like two weeks ago. Now I'm totally 25 and 1/4 inches long."

We also have a number of noise making objects meant for babies around the house that are meant to soothe Alina into deep slumbers. But how can these sounds soothe if she doesn't associate them with anything soothing? Like the ocean, jungle sounds, or babbling brooks. She doesn't hear this, close her eyes and think, "Yeah dude, I'm totally there." She hasn't been to the ocean, the jungle, or to a brook so I would think all this stuff would just sound like hissing and noise to her. The only familiar sound on any of these machines (4 D Batteries not included), at least early on was the one that has a heartbeat noise. Sure, that makes sense. She knows that sound from the womb. I think there should be other buttons on these gadgets with familiar sounds like "Mom's Lungs Inflating" or "Mom's Colon After Mexican Food". Alina has heard that much more than 5-foot waves breaking over a Caribbean coral reef.

1 Comments:

Blogger Palace Fan thats a NEW Dad said...

Never ever thought about that !

Nice blog, distraction video made me laugh as it is so true.

Good luck,
James

5:52 PM, April 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home