New Dad

This started out as a Dad's perspective on my wife Katrina's pregnancy and a way to keep the family updated. Alina arrived in February 2006 and now it's more about our parenting adventures. Now we've added Evelyn in July 2008.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Cord Blood

So I've been reading up on this option they're offering new parents for when your child is born. When they cut the umbilical cord, they save the blood and thus the stem cells. Then, for a mere $2000 they put them in frozen storage for the day when your child (or apparently even you) gets some terrible disease. And of course, there's a yearly fee to keep the ice cold. People can even donate their baby's cords if they don't want or need them to, I dunno, poor people with the similar blood types?

My question now becomes: Am I being guilted into technology that isn't really off the ground yet? I mean, how dare I not do this, right? Because, what if...? Our child could have leukemia or something and some smug prick in a white coat will say, "If only you saved the cord blood." I can almost hear my future child wheezing, "Daddy, dying hurts. If only you weren't such a cheap bastard." This kind of thing really plays into the laundry list of ever-present new parent worries. You want to protect them. You want them to be healthy. I think in the future, we'll all grow our children in a bio-box under our bedside table. It'll look like a mini-fridge.

Better Than Your Uterus.
Daily Feeding Options To Promote Creativity, Intelligence, & Strength.
Now Mommy Can Drink Diet Soda & Eat Sushi
No Messy Births or Stretch Marks

Designer babies are not far off. Rent Gattaca.

Last time I checked, Bush said that he wouldn't spend Federal money on stem cell research that involves new lines and supplies. Old lines only. As if I need another reason to hate this guy. So I guess we roll the dice, make some room on our credit cards, and hope that if something does happen the research and technology has had some time to be more than experimental.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you could just keep it in your freezer?

If it turns out you don't need the cord blood, can you still thaw out the cord and eat it?

What is the total amount one can expect to pay in hospital costs for a pregnancy and birth? I want to know what that 2 grand looks like in comparison.

I love Gattaca.

3:26 PM, August 03, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2000 to keep something cold? That seems pretty crazy. I'm sure there's some special science-y stuff going on, but if you wanna be save moreover sorry, then I guess it's your choice. Maybe I'm just not maternal enough to think that sounds like a good deal.

Liebe,
Leah

4:17 PM, August 04, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, remember the good old days, when all we had to worry about was too many cigarettes while the baby was inside.

I still have a little scabby remnant of Mr. Space's UC, but it's in the bathroom drawer; oops didn't know I had to freeze it. Kelsea's is glued into her scrap book, and JA's was probably eaten by the dog.

Anyway - don't worry too much.

Ha Ha, now you know why I freaked when you kicked that box on 2nd Avenue, telling you there might be a bomb in it. Welcome to the world of parenting!!

Love you,
G'ma

1:09 PM, August 05, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry too much...a few more years and they will probably discover that cord blood creates some yet-to-be-discovered-nightmare-from-hell disease. It is hard to win at the "what if" gambit.
Auntie Kitty

1:16 AM, August 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home