New Dad

This started out as a Dad's perspective on my wife Katrina's pregnancy and a way to keep the family updated. Alina arrived in February 2006 and now it's more about our parenting adventures. Now we've added Evelyn in July 2008.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Gone Baptizin'

I should probably mention that we got Alina baptized in the Catholic Church. I'm fairly neutral on organized religion in general since my parents were Jewish and not Jewish (Protestant or something. I think my Grandmother became a Mormon so those nice boys would paint her barn). But you know, I've never understood why the phrase half Jewish is an acceptable way to describe oneself. How can you be half a religion? 4 days of Hanukkah and a pine shrub in December?

Anyway, we dressed her up in Katrina's old christening (or Xstening for those who celebrate Xmas) outfit from when she was an infant. So that was a nice tradition to continue. They sat us up in the front of the church with several other couples plus godparents. Then Alina took a big dump about halfway through. Is that good luck? Myself, I was willing to wait until the end to change her but Katrina showed me the quantity and consistency of this new arrival and sternly warned, "The priest is going to lie her back over the holy water and it's all going to spill out." Hmmm, as funny as this would be to me personally, it was decided that we leave our seats and do a mad dash change. Wipes and clothes flying everywhere, the priest is doing another round of chrism oil and will soon get to our empty chairs. I hear my father say No pressure from the congregation. I don't know why we were rushing. It's not like if the priest passes us we get canceled or something. The rules, and there are just a few with Catholics, don't include staying in your seat the whole time. We're dealing with infants here. It's bound to happen.

So, we get back up there, get oil on her forehead and chest, then it's over to the big holy bowl thinger (did I mention I had to lookup Original Sin?) and Presto! With a wave of a hand, a few words, and some God Juice, Alina no longer has to bear the burden of that bitch Eve eating the apple. Yes, I'm cynical. But I'll say this. We have been incredibly lucky or blessed with Alina. Always smiling, very healthy (knock on wood - my religion), and just about the Cutest. Child. Ever. If Katrina quietly praying at night while pregnant had anything to do with that, then baptizing is the least we could do.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry too much about organized religion. Energy cannot be created or destroyed. You will go on forever, because those TV waves are floating around the universe. So Milton Berle walking on the sides of his feet and Johnny Carson with his head turban will be in good company.

Love,
MiMi

5:18 PM, July 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, gather 'round class.

Xstening would be a perfectly acceptable term to use -- particularly around your very Jewish psychology professor aunt (name left out to protect the guilty).

Back when you could get fried for being a Christian (remember St. Lawrence -- the guy who invented BBQ?) the "X" referred to the first letter of "Christ" as written in Greek. Chi-Rho-Iota-Sigma-Tau (for those of you in Rio Linda).

So Xmas was a code for "Christ's Mass" which was celebrated on December 25th under the cover of the Roman festival for Jupiter --- or maybe Phil...I'm not sure. Anyway, the Christians could gather without calling attention to themselves.

What does all this have to do with the fact that Alina is THE VERY BEST BABY GIRL ON THE PLANET?

Not a damn thing.

9:07 PM, July 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home