New Dad

This started out as a Dad's perspective on my wife Katrina's pregnancy and a way to keep the family updated. Alina arrived in February 2006 and now it's more about our parenting adventures. Now we've added Evelyn in July 2008.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Baby's First Co-op

Phew! That move was physically taxing. But it's pretty much over now. We just have some light cleaning to do in the old place and to rescue some plants. I baited the hell out of this place and haven't seen any scurrying little friends since. I think Embers, our cat, helped too. Although I only saw a few small ones before we moved in, they always say when you see one, there's 50 more hiding somewhere. We set up the bedroom and have plotted where the crib and changing table will go. So for now, with these items absent, our room looks HUGE. See? The huge letters I used in huge should allude to it's hugeness in a subtle kind of way. You could probably fit our old apartment in the living room. Ooh, I have a tape measure...(measures)...well the kitchen and living room combined then. We have more closet space but have somehow managed to run out of room with more unpacking yet to go. That's not good. Especially when you consider all the baby stuff we will soon have. Note to family members: Keep the toys and books you already have at your house. Then the baby can play with it when we're there. Until then, an extra chest or shelf somewhere should do the trick.

I finally got to hear the baby's heartbeat yesterday. It took the doctor about a minute to find it, but when she did I let out a large sigh. Heartbeats are good, very good, outright necessary. Mama has had some real hardcore cravings. So much so, that when the urge comes along she throws down the food she's eating and says, "I can't finish this chicken until I get a chocolate shake from Johnny Rockets." Fine with me. The doctor says she needs to start gaining weight anyway. Since this began, she has actually lost a total of two pounds. But nothing to freak over, not even for me. This week we're planning on making a mad grocery run on Whole Foods. With the move going on, we didn't do much shopping.

I'll miss Brooklyn, but I'm really liking Forest Hills. It's a lot more diverse. More families instead of hipsters and trust fund babies. One side of our street has an ethnic marketplace and the other side looks like this and has more high end shops and restaurants. Who knew you could get foie gras in Queens? HA, Katrina just called and she wants General Tso's Chicken, despite the fact that everytime she has consumed chinese food in the past 3 months, she has gotten ill. Well, let's see if the General can break the curse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home