New Dad

This started out as a Dad's perspective on my wife Katrina's pregnancy and a way to keep the family updated. Alina arrived in February 2006 and now it's more about our parenting adventures. Now we've added Evelyn in July 2008.

Friday, September 02, 2005

Magic German Dwarves

I think I've realized how we were so lucky in getting pregnant on the first try. When we were on our way back from our honeymoon, on a layover in Chicago, we were going through some of the photos that we'd already had developed from our Alaska trip. Katrina then went to get a Starbucks fix, back when she could, and I noticed that the 4 foot woman sitting across from us with her feet dangling was none other than Dr. Ruth Westheimer. When Katrina came back with her Grande Mocha, the gateway coffee, I said "don't look now, but the country's most preeminent sex doctor is sitting across from us." So we gave her one of our honeymoon photos to sign. She said, "Ah, I knew you vas honeymoonahs," signing the photo of us kissing on top of Mt. Whistler, "Dat's a goot kiss." I thought it was good omen to get a marriage send off from Dr. Ruth. Turns out it was.

By the way, I think Daddy got a job today. Nothing has been signed yet but I'm told by the recruiter that they made me an offer. It almost doesn't seem real, so I'm waiting until I've been there a month before I accept that I have a normal job again.

We said goodbye to our rooftop deck in Brooklyn the other night, with the panoramic views of Manhattan. It felt like we were saying goodbye to a lot more though. Youth? Decadence? Spoiling ourselves? Katrina was sad, but I gave her a kiss and said, "Come on honey, let's go start a family."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry we got cut off on the cell phone today. Welcome back to mid town and a job so near the 53rd and Third subway stop.

No, Dr. Ruth was not the reason you got preggers so soon. It was simply great genes. Hybrid vigor as my Aunt Betty would have said.
Take a little British Isles, mix in a pinch of Dutch, French & German. Add a whopping dollop of Russian, and stir in plenty of Italian. Whattayagot? Instant baby with lots of strength, stability and stamina. The three "S"s. Superbaby! Dr. Ruth was merely a good omen.

Lot O' Love,
G'ma

12:28 AM, September 03, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is from my G'mas' friend, Debbie.
I love reading your blog on a daily basis. I feel like I know you even though I don't see you very much.. I know how much Susan loves Gavin, and I know how much she is looking forward to Grandbaby number 2. Only what will they call her??? Mimi II, Mimi as well, or maybe just plain and simply Grandma!!! Holy Toledo.
The reason I am writing this is because your MiMi / MiMi 2/Grandma is moving out of state, and I feel like I needed to connect with you in the womb, so you would know how much I love your Grandma and how much your Grandma is looking forward to your arrival. I am sure your Mom & Dad will make this scrapbook for you someday. If you want to meet your stepsister, call my house, Kelsea, anytime. Kelsea will be living with us. 255-9323. The door is open, what color do you want your room.?
Best of luck. Love, Deb.
P.S. Ever since I knew you were expecting, I had a strong feeling of twins. That has not subsided.
Rock on Charlie and Marley.

10:06 PM, September 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home